Jeera rice is basically a rice flavored with cumin, ghee/butter and lightly spiced with whole garam masala. I always make zeera rice specially with Indian chicken dishes. But today I serve this jeera rice with dal tadka, and aloo gobhi ki sabji.
Jeera rice also goes very well with some north indian curries like Special Recipe of Chicken Handi , Chicken Changezi , Chicken Jalfrezi ,Chicken in Tomato Gravy, Chicken Curry in Coconut Milk , Peshawari Chicken , Badami Chicken Korma, Dal makhni , malai kofta, Check out my these curry recipe.
- 2 Cups – Basmati rice
- 2 Teaspoon – Jeera / cumin (adjust)
- 2 to 4 – Green Cardamoms
- 2 Inch – Cinnamon stick
- 4 to 6 – Cloves
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoon – Ghee(clarified butter), butter or oil
- 3 1/2 – Cups water (adjust if needed)
- Wash and soak rice for at least 20 to 30 mins.
- Drain it completely with help of strainer.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pressure cooker or a pot/pan.
- Saute whole spices until they begin to sizzle. Roast cumin on a low flame until they get roasted well, it will take few second.
- Add drained rice and roast for 2 to 3 mins.
- Pour 3.5 cups water and add salt and cover with lid.
- Bring it to a boil once it riches one boil bring the heat to low and cook until the water is absorbed. when the rice is still soggy, cover and cook until done. (If you are using pressure cooker, then cover the pressure cooker with a lid. Cook on a high heat for 1 whistle).
- When the pressure goes off. Open the lid and fluff up with a fork.
- Serve this jeera rice with dal tadka, Special Recipe of Chicken Handi , Chicken Changezi
,Chicken Jalfrezi ,Chicken in Tomato Gravy, Chicken Curry in Coconut Milk , Peshawari Chicken , Badami Chicken Korma, Dal makhni , malai kofta, or any indian cuisine.